Veronica Jarvis Finds Acting 'Very Therapeutic'

An interview with actor Veronica Jarvis recounting her childhood in Helsinki, Finland, her move to NYC and LA, and how acting has helped her grow as a human being. 


I had the honor of being introduced to Veronica Jarvis who's currently living her dream as an actor. Originally from Helsinki, Finland, Veronica's love for acting was ignited in the second grade when she performed at a Christmas play. Suffice it to say, she participated in every school play from that moment on.

Veronica had the good fortune of being raised in an environment that supported her creative endeavors. Besides acting, she also took dance classes which ranged from modern to ballet. And if dancing wasn't enough, she was also a gymnast, an ice skater, and a swimmer. (Girl, slaaaay! #queen #bossbitch)


Nevertheless, despite falling in love with acting when she was a kid, and despite always being a part of that world in some manner as she grew older, (theater, films, and commercials) it wasn't until she was a young woman that she realized acting was her true calling; that it was something she loved to do with all of her heart.


Upon realizing this, and finishing her mandatory studies in Finland, she made the bold move to venture forth to the United States where she'd be able to open more doors to living her dream as an actor.




I admire Veronica's story. Her passion. And conviction. Anyone who makes the bold move to venture forth to a new location in pursuit of something 'more' has my deepest respect and admiration. It reminds me of my father's story. Of his move from Mexico to the United States in pursuit of that something 'more.'


Veronica’s work includes a comedy series on YouTube called, The Pantheon. She was also the lead for All Time Low’s music video entitled, Dirty Laundry. And she was cast in the Norwegian/American collaboration feature movie titled Young & Alone, with her co-star, Gaston Lopez.


I was able to ask Veronica a few interesting questions about her life as an actor. Here’s what she said...



Q: What do you like most about LA?


A: I like the creative environment, the judgment-free people, and the cheap tacos. I also like the obvious things, like the weather (being from Finland where we have like 22 sunny days out of a year, I really appreciate it), and I like the majestic cliffs and beaches. Also, compared to New York where I lived for a year, I appreciate the fact that I can change the scenery to San Francisco, Malibu, Las Vegas, Santa Barbara, Joshua Tree, etc. There’s a lot to explore relatively close by! California is road-trip heaven.


Q: Is there anything you miss from your hometown?


A: I miss the sauna! The Finnish sauna, which is a wooden sauna, instead of a steam or infrared one. I also miss Finnish chocolate, it’s ridiculously good. Also, of course, I miss my family and friends, especially the friends I’ve known since I was five. Also, weirdly, the public transportation! I didn’t need a car to get around, it’s actually more convenient in Helsinki to use public transportation and it works really well. If you’re from L.A., you know what I’m talking about, haha. It’s an overused cliché to say this, but the traffic in Los Angeles is a killer. It took me a year to drive there without fearing for my life.


Q: Is there a difference in style for women in Finland?


A: The style for women in Finland varies a lot depending on where you live. I’m from the capital, Helsinki, and the style here is almost identical to New Yorkers. It’s very business smart, simple, sharp, and professional looking. Women in Helsinki dress really well! I always feel underdressed when going out and about there. When you travel a little deeper into central Finland, the style starts to change to a more modest direction (hoodies, jeans, and snapbacks.) But isn’t that usually how it goes with smaller towns?


Q: Was the decision to venture forth to Hollywood something you’ve wanted to do since you were young, or did it occur as you grew older?


A: I've always wanted to be an actor, even before I realized it. Looking back now I can see it. I didn't specifically want to go anywhere to do acting, I just wanted to do it. But as I grew older, it dawned on me just how small the industry is in Finland, so the logical necessity to move to the states appeared. I also visited NYC when I was a kid, and so those two loves kind of combined together as I got older. I wanted to move to NYC and I wanted to act. And when I was 19 and done with the mandatory schools in Finland, I moved to Manhattan to study acting!

Q: Was it a challenge for you to make the big move to LA? What were some thoughts and feelings that you were going through at the time, were you more excited or nervous?


A: Well, I moved from NYC to LA after a year of living there, to finish my suites at the NYFA LA campus. I was excited about the weather and the beaches. The initial move to NYC was very scary, I didn't know anyone from the entire continent. But my excitement trumped it. It felt like I finally had started to live! I had waited 19 years to get to this moment where I could start the rest of my life, that's what it felt like.

Q: You mentioned before that it took you a while to get used to the traffic in LA. Were there any other customs/habits that took you a while to accustom to, or ones you just thought were plain weird? 


A: Yeah, traffic was a big one. I guess another one would be that bars and restaurants were packed on a regular weekday night. A lot of people in LA are of course in the industry, so there's no regular office hours, hence you can go do fun stuff on a Tuesday night! Also, how super healthy everything was. And how restaurants and cafes and grocery stores used that to advertise like "All Vegan," "100% organic," and "gluten-free options". I've never seen it on that scale, even in New York!

Q: Last question, Veronica; what has been your favorite project to work on as an actor? This could be from your time in LA or back in Finland. What made this project memorable? And just out of curiosity, since I know you model from time to time, do you enjoy acting or modeling more? Or are they each special in their own way?


A: To be honest, I can’t name a favorite project. They're all different and unique. If I had to name two, I'd say I really enjoyed shooting the Marriott Traveler commercial, since I got to tour around to all the iconic places in LA. I also had a lot of fun shooting, The Pantheon, as the vibe on set was amazing and we had so much fun shooting it (I mean it's a comedy, it's always fun shooting comedies!)

And if I'm being completely honest I'd say acting is my main passion and I love it with everything I have. I enjoy playing different people and living a different life for a moment and trying on different faces and experiences. I think it opens your eyes a lot and it can, and has been, very therapeutic as well. I've had to look in the eye of a lot of things I haven't wanted to and work through them to bring them up in a character I'm portraying. Afterward, I always feel so much lighter.

Comments

Popular Posts